Friday, January 22, 2010

Dresses

I love dresses. No, let me rephrase that. I LOVE dresses. Like, really, really, really LOVE dresses. I have a closet full of them. Nothing makes me feel more feminine and pretty than a light, fluffy dress. Nothing makes me feel sexier than a little black dress. I know its not the same for all girls, but Im just that way. Unfortunately, I don't get to wear them as much as I like. I live in Minnesota and obviously the weather doesn't always want to cooperate. Wearing a dress in -20 degrees or when its pouring rain out isn't always the best option. And some days I just feel like wearing pants. I also really love a good pair of comfortable jeans. (Ill also add that Im that girl that can pair her most favorite comfortable jeans under her pretty dress and pull it off. See photos two posts ago.)


(via theimageisfound.com)

I decided with my bridesmaids that they should be able to wear a dress that makes them feel pretty or sexy or just plain comfortable on my wedding day. That they each should choose the dress that they LOVE. They are there to support and help me and I want them to enjoy it. I don't want them to spend the day in some hideous, god awful dress that makes them feel uncomfortable and unattractive. I don't want them to spend money on something that they will never wear again.



That being said, I did have a few stipulations. I just asked that they are black, at/below the knee, and they have the same formality to them. (I also suggested that they choose a neckline that allows for a necklace, but thats not crucial.) But other than that, they are free to choose their own dresses. I didn't want them all matchy matchy as that's just not my thing, and my bridesmaids are all beautiful, unique girls with their own styles. What one girl feels comfortable in might not be the same for another. I also really love how photos look with the bridesmaids all showing off their own style and wearing all different dresses.

The non matching dresses also helps since one of my bridesmaids will be flying in from Austria. I don't want things to be complicated or hard for Nadine. If all the girls are ordering/buying dresses in the US, it might be a bit frustrating for her. Im sure she's going to want to try on her dress instead of just ordering something to her measurements.

And then there is the fact that all my girl friends have different incomes and different amounts that they feel alright with spending on a dress. Im not going to ask them to go buy some $250 dress. It's just not reasonable.

I set up a Flickr folder where I have been dumping photos of dresses to help give them an idea of dress styles. I'm sure they are all more than capable of picking out their own dress, but I know Nadine especially wanted some hints on what dresses might look nice as this will be the first American wedding she has attended. These are some of my favorite dresses so far.



- Gan

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails